Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Grand Canyon


The Grand Canyon is truly something you have to see in person to truly appreciate. I had heard people say that before, but I really didn't understand what they meant. It is amazing!


We tried to be prepared for taking a two year old to The Grand Canyon. We had forgotten Jackson's great monkey backpack that has a harness, so we stopped and bought a different one on the way there. By the time we got to the scenic overlook Jackson was ready to get out of his stroller. We were only able to console him by telling him we would let him out as soon as we got his harness ready. Matt worked on it for about ten minutes while I tried everything to distract him and keep him out of meltdown mode. Matt got it ready and we put it on him. Jackson was so excited to get down and walk. He immediately took off at a fast pace and to our surprise the velcro on the harness just let go! We weren't far behind, so we quickly grabbed him and decided that was not going to be a safe option. If he were older I would have let him just hold my hand and walk, but being two still makes him very unpredictable and The Grand Canyon is a really big hole! I'm sure you can see where this is headed - we had to pick Jackson back up and carry him. He was so disappointed and furious! I felt so bad for him. We were far from the car so Matt had Jackson and I folded up the stroller and carried it (thank goodness it has a carrying strap). I am sure we looked ridiculous - me loaded down with the stroller, backpack and camera, and Matt carrying Jackson screaming - but I was determined we were going to take in the breathtaking beauty and have some great family pictures to prove it!


(click to enlarge to see Jackson's enthusiasm for my photo shoot)
The pictures weren't perfect but I still love them. This one cracks me up, even with the meltdown it was a special memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment