Sunday, January 17, 2010

So I'm Not Betty Crocker

I have joined all of the other mothers out there who cannot get their kids to eat their fruits and veggies. I remember being so proud when Jackson was little - he would eat just about anything pureed other than bananas or yellow squash. I would hear other mom's talk about their picky eaters and I remember thinking to myself, "oh, not my baby he'll eat anything."

Of course I am still proud of Jackson for so many things. I have just learned that there are some things you can't really make your child do, no matter how you encourage, force, or beg. So, what's my plan at this point..... sneaking it in! I know a lot of people don't think that is the greatest idea, but I think it is really important to get those vitamins and nutrients into his diet. I will still be offering him regular fruits and veggies. However, when he refuses to eat them I can relax just a little knowing that he is eating them anyway ..... he just doesn't know it. I will keep you updated if it works. If you don't see another post about it, it probably means that it didn't work out and I'm back to the drawing board to find another way to broaden my child's palate to a menu that includes things other than beans, grilled cheese, sour cream, crackers, peanut butter, pizza or chicken nuggets!

Yesterday we woke up, ate breakfast and broke out my new Sneaky Chef cookbook to make our first sneaky recipe - Monkey Bars. I decided I would let Jackson help me. He helped me measure and stir, smash bananas, and add the sneaky sweet potatoes and carrots. We had such a blast and were both covered in flour and batter. I was so excited about our accomplishment when I realized I was supposed to make a flour blend of 1 c each white flour, wheat flour and wheat germ and then use 3/4 cup for the recipe. Somewhere in between trying to keep Jackson from falling out of the chair and keeping the batter from flying all over the kitchen as he stirred I missed that detail and added all three cups of flour and wheat germ. All of our hard work went in to the trash, but I have wonderful memories of his excitement when I asked him to help me and lots of cute pictures of him dusted with flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment